April 11, 2013
Survey of Literature in English 1
This course surveys literature written in English in countries around the world, including but not limited to the British Isles and the American colonies, from the pre-Norman period in England to the late seventeenth century.
Eligibility for college-level composition (C-ID ENGL 100) as determined by college assessment or other appropriate method.
Successful completion of college-level composition or equivalent (C-ID ENGL 100).
Influential and significant texts and authors
Evolution of literary traditions, contexts, and genres
Contexts of literature in English: historical, philosophical, social, political and aesthetic
Reading, analyzing, interpreting and writing about literature written in English up to the late seventeenth century, including diverse voices from various countries and cultures
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with influential and significant authors, works, genres, and themes of the period
- Analyze and interpret themes found in the literature and intellectual movements of the period
- Demonstrate understanding of appropriate academic discourse and the conventions of critical literary analysis
- Relate the literary works to their historical, philosophical, social, political, regional, and aesthetic contexts
- Demonstrate comprehension of the above through class discussion, written exams, and essays using appropriate citation form
A variety of writing assignments including academic essays as well as shorter assignments such as summaries, annotated bibliographies, reader responses/journals, formal essays, in-class writing, group projects, or research projects.
Other methods of evaluation such as portfolios, oral presentations, exams, quizzes, and class participation.
Damrosch. Longman Anthology of British Literature (Volumes 1A, 1B, 1C) Longman.
Kermode and Hollander. The Oxford Anthology of British Literature (Volume I) Oxford
Greenblatt. Norton Anthology of English Literature (Volumes A, B, C) Norton.
Bradford, Of Plymouth Plantation Modern Library
Bradstreet, The Works of Ann Bradstreet Belknap Press
Additional shorter editions containing works by American colonists and writers from other English-speaking countries.
Open Educational Resources (OER) texts
Sample Manuals or Other Support Materials
Gardner, Writing About Literature: A Portable Guide. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins
Harmon & Holman, A Handbook to Literature. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall
Selected handbook or style manual (MLA, CMS), including Open Educational Resources (OER) texts and materials
July 09, 2021