Introduction to Political Science
- Political Science
- Introduction to Political Science
An introduction to political science designed to familiarize students with basic political concepts, political ideologies, political systems, and subfields within political science.
- Political science as a field of study.
- Key concepts in political science, such as nations, states, power, institutions, and political behavior.
- Introduction to the methods of political science.
- Political theory and ideologies.
- Comparative politics, including types of governments, institutional arrangements, and political processes.
- International relations, including theories, actors, and levels of analysis.
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the development of political science and its subfields.
- Identify the key concepts in political science.
- Evaluate and analyze normative and empirical approaches.
- Identify and analyze basic political systems and their differences.
- Analyze political behavior in international affairs.
May include as appropriate:
In-class or take-home examinations
Research papers or projects
Participation in class discussions and debates
Any college-level introduction to political science textbook including, but not limited to
Van Belle and Mash. A Novel Approach to Politics: Introducing Political Science through Books, Movies, and Popular Culture
Grigsby. Analyzing Politics: An Introduction to Political Science
Roskin, Cord, Medeiros, and Jones. Political Science: An Introduction
Magstadt. Understanding Politics: Ideas, Institutions and Issues
Danzinger. Understanding the Political World: A Comparative Introduction to Political Science
May also include supplementary materials such as, but not limited to, primary sources, readers, etc.
- May 23, 2012