Survey of Asian Art
- Art History
- Survey of Asian Art
This course provides a select overview of art and architecture from India, Southeast Asia, China, Korea, and Japan from pre-history to modern times.
Completion of or concurrent enrollment in English Composition (C-ID ENGL 100)
This course covers art and architecture of the following periods:
- Indus Valley
- Early Buddhist and Hindu art in India and Southeast Asia
- Later India, including Mughal
- Neolithic through early Imperial China
- Northern Wei through Tang Dynasties
- Later China through contemporary
- Archaeological Japan through Heian
- Later Japan through contemporary
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify, examine, and assess representative works of art and architecture from the art historical periods covered in this course employing appropriate art historical terminology
- Analyze, discuss, and differentiate works of art and architecture in terms of historical context and cultural values
- Analyze, discuss, and distinguish the roles of art, architecture, and the artist from the art historical periods covered in this course
Methods of evaluation will include:
- Written essays, assignments, and/or research projects
- Essay exams
May also include:
- Classroom discussions
- Objective exams
- Projects and presentations
Combination of Oxford History of Art and World Art books such as:
Clunas, Craig. Art in China.
Mitter, Partha. Indian Art.
Stanley-Baker, Joan. Japanese Art.
Brown, Rebecca M. and Deborah S. Hutton. Asian Art.
Kleiner, Fred S. Gardner’s Art Through the Ages: Non-Western Perspective.
O-Riley, Michael Campen. Art Beyond the West.
Michell, George. Hindu Art and Architecture.
Neave, Dorinda, and Blanchard, Lara C.W., Asian Art
Dehejia, Vidya. Indian Art
Lee, Sherman E., A History of Far Eastern Art
Rawson, Philip. The Art of Southeast Asia
Craven, Roy. Indian Art
Mason, Penelope. History of Japanese Art
Sullivan, Michael. The Art of China
Fisher, Robert. Buddhist Art and Architecture
- March 16, 2012
- April 06, 2017