July 23, 2012
Survey of British Literature 2
This course surveys British literature from the late eighteenth century to contemporary British and post-colonial texts.
Eligibility for college-level composition (C-ID ENGL 100) as determined by college assessment or other appropriate method.
Successful completion of college-level composition (C-ID ENGL 100) or equivalent
- Influential and significant texts and authors
- Evolution of literary traditions, contexts, and genres
- Contexts of British literature: historical, philosophical, social, political, and aesthetic
- Reading, analyzing, interpreting and writing about literature of this period
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with important authors, works, genres, and themes of the period
- Analyze and interpret themes found in the literature and intellectual movements of the period
- Demonstrate understanding of appropriate academic discourse and the conventions of critical literary analysis
- Relate the literary works to their historical, philosophical, social, political, and/or aesthetic contexts
- Demonstrate comprehension of the above through class discussion, written exams, and essays using appropriate citation form
A variety of writing assignments including academic essays as well as shorter assignments such as summaries, annotated bibliographies, reader responses/journals, in-class writing, group projects, or research projects.
Other methods of evaluation such as portfolios, oral presentations, exams, quizzes, and class participation.
Sample textbooks (most recent edition)
Damrosch. Longman Anthology of British Literature (Volumes 2A, 2B, 2C), Longman.
Kermode and Hollander. The Oxford Anthology of British Literature (Volume II), Oxford.
Greenblatt. Norton Anthology of English Literature (Volumes D, E, F), Norton.
--or the shorter editions combining volumes of these or similar texts, including Open Educational Resources (OER).
Sample Manuals or Other Support Materials
Gardner, J. E. Writing About Literature: A Portable Guide. Boston: Bedford/St. Martin’s
Harmon, W., and H. Holman. A Handbook to Literature, Prentice Hall
Roberts, Edgar, V. Writing About Literature, Prentice Hall. (Complete or Brief Edition).
Selected handbook or style manual (MLA, CMS), including Open Educational Resources (OER).
July 09, 2021
English, British, literature