April 11, 2013
Survey of Literature in English 2
This course surveys literature written in English in countries around the world, including but not limited to the British Isles and the United States, from the late seventeenth century to the mid-nineteenth century
Eligibility for college-level composition (C-ID ENGL 100) as determined by college assessment or other appropriate method
Successful completion of college-level composition or equivalent (C-ID ENGL 100)
Influential and significant texts and authors
Evolution of literary traditions, contexts, and genres
Contexts of literature in English: historical, philosophical, social, political and aesthetic
Reading, analyzing, interpreting and writing about literature written in English from the late seventeenth century to the mid-nineteenth century, including diverse voices from various countries and cultures.
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate familiarity with influential and significant authors, works, genres, and themes of the period
- Analyze and interpret themes found in the literature and intellectual movements of the period
- Demonstrate understanding of appropriate academic discourse and the conventions of critical literary analysis
- Relate the literary works to their historical, philosophical, social, political, regional, and aesthetic contexts
- Demonstrate comprehension of the above through class discussion, written exams, and essays using appropriate citation form
A variety of writing assignments including academic essays as well as shorter assignments such as summaries, annotated bibliographies, reader responses/journals, formal essays, in-class writing, group projects, or research projects.
Other methods of evaluation such as portfolios, oral presentations, exams, quizzes, and class participation.
Damrosch. Longman Anthology of British Literature (Volumes 2A, 2B), Longman.
Kermode and Hollander. The Oxford Anthology of British Literature (Volume II), Oxford.
Greenblatt. Norton Anthology of English Literature (Volumes D and E), Norton.
Lauter, Heath Anthology of American Literature (Volumes A and B), Cengage.
Baym, Norton Anthology of American Literature (Volumes A and B), Norton.
Individual volumes representing important American and British writers as well as writers from other English-speaking countries to replace or supplement the anthologies, including Open Educational Resources (OER)
Sample Manuals or Other Support Materials
Writing About Literature: Gardner, A Portable Guide. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins
Harmon & Holman, A Handbook to Literature, Prentice Hall
Selected handbook or style manual (MLA, CMS), including Open Educational Resources (OER) texts and materials.
July 09, 2021