Principles of Macroeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
An introductory course focusing on aggregate economic analysis. Topics include: aggregate measures of economic activity, macroeconomic equilibrium, money and financial institutions, monetary and fiscal policy, international economics, and economic growth.
- Fundamentals of economic thinking
- How markets operate
- Measuring the economy
- National output and productivity
- Price level (inflation)
- Business cycle
- AD/AS analysis (i.e. Keynesian and/or classical model
- Monetary system
- Money creation and banking
- Role and function of central banks
- Money demand
- Saving, investment, interest rates
- The role of the government in the macro economy
- Stabilization policy
- Deficit and debt
- Fiscal and monetary policy
- Determinants of economic growth
- Open economy
- Balance of payments
- Exchange rates
- International trade
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify and interpret macroeconomic data
- Apply macroeconomic models to understand the economy
- Analyze the economic impacts of monetary and fiscal policy
- Demonstrate an understanding of the function of the central bank and the banking system
Assessed written work is recommended for this course and may include any of the following (colleges are encouraged to work with local CSU and UC departments to determine writing requirements):
- Current event analysis
- Term papers
- Essay questions on exams
Exams and quizzes containing one more:
- Multiple choice questions
- Short answers
- Problem solving
Debates and class discussion
These are examples of acceptable two-semester textbooks covering both Macroeconomics and Microeconomics. The one-semester edition covering only Macroeconomics is acceptable as is any other equivalent textbook, including an OER textbook.
Arnold, R. A. Economics. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
Boyes, W., Melvin, M., Economics. Mason, OH: Cengage.
Case, K. E., Fair, R. C., & Oster, S. M. Principles of economics. Boston: Prentice-Hall.
Colander, D. Economics. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Cowen, T., & Tabarrok, A. Modern principles of economics. New York: Worth.
Frank, R. H., & Bernanke, B. S. Principles of economics. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Hubbard, R. G., & O’Brien, A. P. Economics. Boston: Pearson.
Krugman, P. & Wells, R. Economics. New York: Worth.
Mankiw, N. G. Principles of economics. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
McConnell, C. R., Brue, S. L., & Flynn, S. M. Economics: Principles, problems and policies. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Miller, R. L. Economics today. Boston: Pearson.
Rittenberg, L., & Tregarthen, T. Principles of economics. Flat World Knowledge.
Schiller, B. R. The economy today. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Sexton, R. L. Exploring economics. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
Slavin, S. Economics. New York: McGraw-Hill Irwin.
Tucker, I. B. Economics for today. Mason, OH: Cengage Learning.
- August 07, 2012
- January 22, 2020