Arts of Africa, Oceania, and Indigenous North America
Survey of visual culture within selected regions in Africa, Oceania, and indigenous North America.
Completion of or concurrent enrollment in English Composition (C-ID ENGL 100)
This course covers art and architecture of the following regions:
- Indigenous North America
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Identify, examine, and assess representative works of art and architecture from the art historical periods covered in this course employing appropriate art historical terminology
- Analyze, discuss, and differentiate works of art and architecture in terms of historical context and cultural values
- Analyze, discuss, and distinguish the roles of art, architecture, and the artist from the art historical periods covered in this course
Methods of evaluation will include:
1. Written essays, assignments, and/or research projects
2. Essay exams
Methods of evaluation may also include:
3. Classroom discussions
4. Objective exams
5. Projects and presentations
An Instructor Course Reader and/or
Oxford History of Art and World Art books such as:
Berlo, Janet Catherine and Ruth Bliss Phillips, Native North American Art.
Blier, Suzanne. The Royal Arts of Africa: The Majesty of Form
Corbin, George. Native Arts of North America, Africa and the South Pacific
D’Alleva, A. Arts of the Pacific Islands
Garlacke, Peter S. Early Art and Architecture in Africa.
Kaeppler, Adrienne. Pacific Arts of Polynesia and Micronesia.
Kleiner, Fred S. Gardner’s Art Through the Ages: Non-Western Perspective.
O-Riley, Michael Campen. Art Beyond the West.
Visona, et al. A History of Art in Africa.