December 20, 2010
Theory and techniques of public speaking in democratic society. Discovery, development, and criticism of ideas in public discourse through research, reasoning, organization, composition, presentation, and evaluation of various types of speeches including informative and persuasive speeches.
- Principles of human communication
- Theory and techniques of public speaking in society, including ethics, and the use of presentation aids
- Critical analysis of public discourse
- Types of public speaking
- Listening skills
- Elements of effective public speaking, including analysis of communication situation, ethics and diversity, audience, occasion, purpose, selection of subject matter, research, evidence evaluation, organization, presentation skills, and evaluation of communication effectiveness
At the conclusion of this course, the student should be able to:
- Explain the basic principles of human communication;
- Analyze their communication situation, audience, occasion, and purpose; and selection of subject matter;
- Formulate through research, analysis, and organization of material; presentation of the message including management of communication apprehension; and evaluation of the effectiveness of their communication;
- Demonstrate that they are careful and critical thinkers and communicators, both as speakers and as listeners;
- Explain their relationship and ethical responsibilities to others involved in the communication transaction.
- Articulate the connection between communication and culture and respect diverse perspectives and the ways they influence communication.
Faculty-supervised, faculty-evaluated oral presentations in front of a live audience; speech outlines and bibliographies; critiques of speeches; quizzes and tests.
University of Minnesota Libraries Publishing. Stand Up, Speak Out: The Practice and Ethics of Public Speaking. (Latest edition). LibreTexts. (OER)
Barton and Tucker. Exploring Public Speaking. (Latest edition). LibreTexts. (OER)
Floyd, K. Public Speaking Matters. (Latest edition.) McGraw-Hill.
Lucas, S. The Art of Public Speaking. (Latest edition.) McGraw-Hill.
German, K. Principles of Public Speaking. (Latest edition.) Routledge.
April 19, 2022